Thursday, February 28, 2008

Renewable Energy and Activism

Thought some people might be interested in seeing a little Democracy at work.

US Rep. Allyson Schwartz has made it a point to keep in touch with people who spoke to her during her recent radio/online addresses and those who contact her office regularly to support (or complain about) renewable resources, conserving energy and reducing the effects of global warming.

Sometimes it's nice to be noticed for being a pain in the ass, Lol. ;)
_____________________________________________________
From: Congresswoman Allyson Schwartz Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2008 6:45:34 PMSubject: Renewable Energy and Energy Conservation Update

Website Biography Services News E-mail Allyson

February 28, 2008


Dear Ms. Walker,

I am writing to update you on my efforts to strengthen and expand tax incentives for renewable energy and energy efficiency. I was outraged that the price of oil shot past $100 per barrel last week and in response I called upon my colleagues to reduce America's dependence on imported oil.

At the end of last year, my colleagues and I passed landmark energy legislation to raise fuel efficiency standards for cars and trucks. Before the President signed it into law, the Senate removed a portion of that bill that I helped author. This proposal would have redirected $21.5 billion in oil and gas industry giveaways to clean, renewable, and American-made energy. I was extremely disappointed by this short-sighted action and I pledged to revisit the issue when Congress returned to work in 2008.

On Tuesday afternoon, I took action. I went before the powerful Rules Committee and demanded that they once again bring these tax incentives up for a vote in Congress. I argued that America is far too dependent on imported oil for us to continue down the same old path of energy production. I explained how I have heard from many of my constituents and how you are tired of paying $3 per gallon at the pump. I told them that our tax dollars would be better spent developing wind, solar, geothermal industries that reduce the carbon dioxide emissions that contribute to global warming and create new "green-collar" jobs.

As a result of my testimony, the Committee decided to bring the bill to the floor of the House of Representatives on the very next day. After an intense debate on the floor of the House of Representatives, our efforts to set a new direction for U.S. energy policy prevailed by a voted of 236 to 182 . I am thrilled that I help ed revive these tax incentives for clean energy and energy efficiency even though the Senate ha d nearly killed them last year. We will now turn our attention to building more support for this proposal so that the Senate will not be able to stop it this year.

Again, thank you for your continued interest in energy policy . To stay informed of my work, or to sign up for my e-mail newsletters, please visit my Web site at http://www.house.gov/schwartz.

Also, please do not hesitate to contact me again if I can help in any way.

Sincerely,

Congresswoman Allyson Schwartz

Contact Information
Washington Office 423 Cannon Office Building Washington, DC 20515 phone: 202/225-6111fax: 202/226-0611
Montgomery County Office 706 West Avenue Jenkintown, PA 19046 phone: 215/517-6572 fax: 215/517-6575
Philadelphia Office 7219 Frankford AvenuePhiladelphia, PA 19135phone: 215/335-3355 fax: 215/333-4508

No comments: