Sunday, February 24, 2008

Music and Men in Kilts


I went with my friend Aimee to the Scottish-Irish Music Festival at the Valley Forge Convention Center last Saturday night. Live music is a passion of mine, and in potent combination with men in kilts, we were drawn there by the very call of our ancestral bloodlines.

It was awesome!

Not just the music, but everything up to and including the hand-poured Guinness, traditional clothing, hand-crafted jewelry and the smokin' hot Connor MacCloud look-alike in the leather kilt. (We were treated to a 'Basic Instinct' type flash when asked if he'd gone 'regimental' or not. I happened to be at the exact wrong angle, but was assured quite definitely that uh, yes, in fact he had.) ;)

There were two great bands completely worth the price of admission. One a trio from Australia, Brother, complete with bag-pipes and didgeridoo. They classify themselves as an alternative/indie jam band. Their music is quite eclectic, sometimes funky, sometimes mellow, always layered and well, different. Listen for yourself. http://www.brothermusic.com/

The other band, the last one to play that evening, was a band from Scotland called Albannach. They left me speechless. And those who know me understand what a feat that is. ;)

It was one of the most incredible, tribal, blood pulsing, heart pounding experiences I've had in a long time! I don't know how their energy will translate to the CD I bought, but WOW! They walked by us on their way to the stage with the first traditional Great kilts I'd seen that evening; 8 yards of tartan plaid, carefully wrapped and proudly worn. My friend carefully dabbed the drool from the corner of my open mouth. They were quite a magnificent sight! They are strikingly primal; multiple drums, percussion, pipes and occasional vocals (low growls included). Listen here: http://www.albannachmusic.com/

We stayed till the end, and met some really great people. I'm going all three days next year. {grin}

For those of you who also love men in skirts, here's a link or two for your viewing pleasure:

Famous guys here-http://www.kiltmen.com/photogallery4.htm
David Ducovny and Kiefer Sutherland in plaid, Nathan Fillion and Vin Diesel in leather. Yum.


Oh, crap. I just realized I have a fetish. ;)

*Many thanks to Rhiona for the word on Albannach.

No comments: